Senior Electrical Engineer
SEAMOR Marine Ltd (Nanaimo, BC) is looking for a Senior Electrical Engineer to join our team.
The Senior Electrical Engineer is responsible for electrical design, development, integration, and documentation of electrical components and systems for SEAMOR products, and contributes to research and development projects. This position prepares electrical/electronic design packages for SEAMOR’s manufacturing facility, designs new systems/components, researches new ideas, and provides technical support to other departments and customers.
Design electrical systems and component.
- Develop and design electrical systems and components, and make improvements and modifications to existing designs
- Apply sound project management practices to manage and coordinate assigned projects to meet timelines
- Prototype assembly, integration, testing, troubleshooting, debugging, and design improvements for new and existing equipment and custom projects
- Sourcing and incorporating appropriate off-the-shelf components into designs/systems
- Create and update technical documentation (including drawings, BOMs, costing, test plans, manuals, etc.)
- Contribute to research and development projects
- Lead and/or assist with project engineering, working from broadly defined system specifications to assist with electrical, electronic, and software designs.
Provide technical support to colleagues and other departments, customers, and outside suppliers.
- Provide technical support to Service, Production, and others as needed
- Provide product verification and instructions for Production
- Assist with troubleshooting and problem solving
- Assist Production in building ROVs & associated systems for custom or other non-standard work orders
- Provide technical support to customers as needed
- Assist customers to better define and understand their requirements
- Assist customers to understand system operation
- Interact with suppliers, bringing electrical expertise, as needed
- Provide assistance to other staff as required
- This Position assists in the supervision of other electrical engineering staff.
- Completion of Bachelor or Master’s Degree in Electrical/Electronic Engineering.
- Minimum of 10 years of experience in electrical engineering design, including senior level responsibilities and experience in an industrial/manufacturing capacity.
- Experience with robotics is an asset.
- Skills and experience with concept-to-market design
- Skills and experience in robotic electrical/electronics design with a strong focus on new technologies
- Project management skills
- Extensive skills and experience using Altium or similar software
- Experience with PCB design and working with related third-party suppliers
- Experience with:
- Digital communication protocols (Ethernet, RS-485/422, UART, SPI, CAN)
- Electro-mechanical design
- Video systems, including analog composite video
- Debugging electrical systems, including component-level electronics
- PCB design, including schematic capture, board layout and Gerber files
- Analog and digital circuit design
- Microcontroller technologies and associated peripherals.
- Signal analysis in the time and frequency domain
- Closed-loop control systems.
- Hand-soldering (SMD and through-hole)
- Troubleshooting hardware and software problems.
- Use of test equipment (multimeters, power supplies, oscilloscopes, function generators, etc.)
- Hands on skills and experience in electrical assembly (wiring, electronic soldering, circuit board modification, fiber optics systems)
- Proficient in tool and equipment use and ability to build prototypes
- Documentation skills and technical writing skills
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
- Strong design and conceptual skills, innovation and creativity
- Excellent communication skills, including ability to communicate technical information clearly (written and verbal)
- Familiarity with document management/revision control software
- Computer skills, including Word, Excel, Access and other relevant applications
- Strong judgement and independent decision-making skills
- Commitment to product quality
- Ability to manage demanding timelines and changing priorities
- Effective team player and collaborative approach
- Ability to work well independently and in a team setting
- Strong interpersonal skills with team members and clients
- Demonstrate a work ethic that focuses on consistency and quality
- Embedded software development (in C)
- Power electronics & motor control experience.
- Professional knowledge of electrical/electronic engineering principles, practices, and applications
- Working familiarity with mechanical and software engineering
- Knowledge of SEAMOR products, technology, and applications
- Currency in the field and with SEAMOR products and product development
- Awareness of North American and European standards.
Compensation: Wage based on experience and qualifications.
To Apply: Submit your cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.
This is an immediate position, and will be filled as soon as a suitable candidate is found.