NANAIMO, BRITISH COLUMBIA, CANADA, June 6, 2021 – SEAMOR Marine, a global leader in the manufacture of Inspection Class Remotely Operated Vehicles, is excited to announce the launch of the Sea Otter 50 and the Sea Otter 100 tether management systems. Designed and built in-house in British Columbia, Canada, these stunning new Reel Systems can carry up to 400m and 800m of their tether respectively. The new designs allow for tremendous improvements in both serviceability and operational efficiency due to the unsurpassed levels of modularity, which have been meticulously incorporated during the R&D process.
“SEAMOR is known for robust, quality products, and our new reel takes modularity to the next level. SEAMOR’s new Sea Otter Reel is easy to service and sustain, and its adaptable modularity makes it compatible for tethering other underwater technology tools and devices on the market.” says Robin Li, President of SEAMOR Marine. “We are deeply appreciative of the government’s support for the research and development to engineer the Sea Otter Reel.”
- New level of modularity to ROV tether management allows easy maintenance and service.
- Removable reel hub allows access to the core of the reel without having to unspool tether.
- Connector-based design allows service without specialized tools.
- Modular electronics provide a clear future upgrade path for customers.
- Metric fasteners throughout make sourcing replacements straightforward.
- External ground stud and grounded (via slip ring) spool for added safety.
- Adjustable spool friction prevents backlash from freewheeling, as well as spool lock.
- Designed to be used with or without a Pelican case.
- Mates with a motorized drive.
- All exposed mechanical parts are made from stainless steel, powder-coated aluminum, or weather/impact-resistant plastic.
- Integrated lift points.
The Sea Otter 50 weighs approximately 23 kg without tether, without the mounting rails, without a pelican case. The Sea Otter 100 weights approximately 28 kg without tether, without the mounting rails, without a Pelican case.
We chose the name SEAMOR Sea Otter for our new tether management system because, just like the beautiful Sea Otters which we find thriving on our B.C. Coasts, our ROV Tether System straddles the land and sea environment.
Based in Nanaimo, British Columbia on Vancouver Island on Canada’s west coast, SEAMOR Marine Ltd. designs and manufactures underwater observation and inspection-class remotely operated vehicles (ROVs) and modular accessories. SEAMOR sells worldwide and has ROVs operating on every continent and in every major body of water around the globe. The company’s ROVs have been used in a variety of fields including aquaculture, underwater archaeology, Antarctic geology, and pipeline and dam inspection. SEAMOR has collaborated on research projects with NASA, the Defence Research and Development Canada, and the Department of Fisheries and Oceans.
Please use photo credit: SEAMOR Marine. These images are the property of SEAMOR Marine Ltd. and may be used/reprinted in association with this news story. Any other request to use these images must be sent to SEAMOR Marine Ltd. prior to publishing.
Mr. Robin Li (President)
Mr. Simon Douthwaite (Sales and Marketing Manager)
Phone: 1 (250) 729-8899